Monday, March 31, 2008

Live From The Special Session

As I write this from the House Chamber, we await the Governor's address to the members of both houses. Of course, his speech will center on the severance tax increase, and will include an outline of the legislation we'll be voting on. Just a sidebar here, but it is always an honor, and I believe a humbling experience, when we convene for a legislative session. There is always a great deal of pomp and circumstance involved, but to me that's a good thing.

The Governor made his remarks and urged us all to support and vote for his proposal. Now I'm off to my Judiciary Committee to deal with the marriage age issue that is also on this session's agenda.

There has been a small, but somewhat late effort from those against the severance tax. There position seems to be that we should provide more tax relief from the severance proceeds. I agree we should provide tax relief when it is possible; but I also believe highways have to be a priority, and this will be a step in the right direction to help with our future highway needs.

No comments: