Thursday, December 20, 2007

Potpourri for $100 Alex

I'm just going to throw out some miscellaneous stuff going on around me, and maybe a few thoughts bouncing around my brain. Should be harmless fun.

Congratulations to Representative Robbie Wills, (D)-Conway, who will be leading the House of Representatives as its Speaker in 2009. Representative David Dunn, (D)- Forrest City, made a gracious concession this week and formally bowed out of the race; leaving Rep. Wills as the lone candidate. Robbie will do a fine job as Speaker, and those I've talked with are pleased to have this race behind us, and anxious to get focused on the upcoming session, just a little more than a year away.

Of course there are the tiny matters of primary and general elections coming up before the 2009 session gets here. It truly seems like just yesterday that I was out campaigning to become one of our state's legislators. The time has flown by and I'm looking forward to the upcoming elections. It should be fun.

Vigi and I attended a holiday reception for legislators at the Governor's mansion last night. Governor and Mrs. Beebe were the perfect hosts as we all enjoyed the beautiful Christmas decorations and festive atmosphere in their home.

By the way, I haven't done a drop of Christmas shopping and more than likely won't get started until Sunday afternoon. That's just the way I've always done it and it really drives Vigi crazy. I contend that the longer I wait, the more focused I can be in selecting that perfect gift. In other words, I work better under pressure. My wife contends that I'm stupid. She probably has grounds there, but I really like the hustle and bustle of those last few hours.

Since I'm talking about Christmas eve, I'll give you my routine, because it hasn't changed in about 20 years. I usually get home around 5:00 or 6:00 and go upstairs to wrap the presents I've just bought. That usually takes a couple of hours, and then I put on my flannel pajamas. Hopefully it's not 75 degrees outside, so the flannels feel pretty good. Ok, if you're still with me, then I go downstairs and Vigi makes some egg nog. I grab a cup and retire to the den, get in the recliner and watch "A Christmas Story"
at least twice. I used to watch the Jimmy Stewart classic "It's a Wonderful Life", but Vigi made me switch movies several years back when I kept referring to her as Clarence. Anyway that's how I spend Christmas Eve, and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

No comments: