Monday, October 29, 2007

Kermit--I Hear Ya Brother

Kermit the Frog's proclamation that it's not easy being green came to mind last Saturday night at the Crossroads VFD fundraiser. What's my point? Just this--It ain't easy being bald. Crossroads always has a great turn-out for their barbeque and auction, which raises money for a well run fire department. I always enjoy spending for the cause by bidding on the home-made muscadine jelly and pear honey. In fact, I always buy it no matter the cost, and it's money well spent. But here's where the bald abuse comes in--There I was, just minding my own business, clutching 2 jars of jelly that would end up on Sunday mornings hot buttered biscuits; when all of a sudden, somebody pipes up that they'd give $100 to have the face painter put Vigi's name on the top of my head. Well, I'm proud of my wife, but I still had to go to wal-mart before I got home. So, in an effort to save face-- and my head too, I bid $110 not to be painted. The end result is they kept bidding it up, so I shelled out a healthy $225, just so I could walk into the grocery store with some sense of dignity. Whadda ya gonna do? Pay up and take it in stride that both frogs and bald guys have a few warts.

No comments: