Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Opening Day

Things got off to a good start when my friend, and Associate Supreme Court Justice, Jim Gunter administered the oath of office to all 100 members of the House of Representatives. Vigi was with me on the floor during the entire ceremony, and my niece and nephew, Elizabeth Davis and Aaron Easterling, had their view from the gallery. Liz is 15 and served as a page during the last session, so she is an old hand at the capitol. Aaron, who is only 10, was pretty amazed by all the goings on and he was especially mesmerized with all the marble floors. He seemed to enjoy the ease of sliding down the halls. It was really a nice day for family and friends. I was very pleased and honored to be appointed as Vice-chairman of the Aging, Children, Youth, Legislative and Military Affairs commmittee. Rep. Dawn Creekmore will be the Chairperson and I look forward to working with her on some very important issues concerning many of our most vulnerable citizens. My thanks to Speaker Robbie Wills for thinking of me for the job. Speaking of the Speaker, he made a fine speech today and challenged all of us to work hard and smart to tackle some tough and important issues coming our way. Afterwards we had a good meal and headed home for a good night's sleep in my own bed.

No comments: